Sunday, March 8, 2009

Replaying the Magic



I decided to write this in English, as I think this is the most suitable language to describe what I want to write now. What is the topic about? Replaying the Magic? Am I a previous magician? Haha, definitely not, even though I'm indeed thinking of learning some magic card trick in the past, but it didn't work out. Anyway, the magic I'm referring to is Magic the Gathering Trading Card Game, in short Magic Card.

I'm not quite remember when is my first time play the card game, I think is form two or form three. I not sure which of my friend pull me into this game, but I saw a lot of my friends are playing, and is definitely a very fun card game. The card is well painted, the game involve very deep strategy, and you are giving the freedom to build a deck on your own. A deck consist of 60 cards, which cards to include is all your choice. Beating someone with a deck you build yourself is a great feel of success.

My first serious complete deck is a Green Black Big Beat deck. The deck uses some elves for early acceleration to Spiritmonger and Fallen Angel. The deck even have a combo between Fallen Angel and Life // Death for a single turn win. The deck net me many success, but it can't defeat some of the more competitive deck, as the deck is not a fast aggro, and doesn't have anything to turn the tide in a bad situation.



However, is been a long time that I stopped playing the Magic card, recenlty before enter University I start replaying it. I have played Project X, an aggro combo deck, the deck uses Saffi Eriksdotter and Crypt Chamption to create an infinite loop, with the aid of another creature, such as Essence Warden to gain infinite life or Teysa, Orzhov Scion to make infinite 1/1 token. Another deck I played is Green Black Elf, an aggro deck. As the name suggested, it uses many powerful elves, with some disruption and removal. I still remember the Green Black Elf deck cost me almost 1k. One of the key card Garruk Wildspeaker cost RM70 each when I bought it. However, I have stopped play for a while since then. As I really don't have that much money to support this game. At least for the competitive purpose. Maybe I can play some casual deck with my friend, that would be more fun, but the problem is I almost have zero friends who actually playing casual now.

Guess I'm in this alone, the Magic Card is best play with friends, but almost most of them quit and have no interest in returning. Just recently the Pro Tour Kyoto finished, and my interest spark again. As I got no cash to play it competitive,ly maybe I'll improve on my own casual Black White Angel Control deck. A deck uses some early hand disruption and mass removal to keep the board clean, and drop Desolation Angel to end the game. I'm considering adding blue to improve the control mechanic.



The deck certainly need more card drawing power, Mulldrifter and Esper Charm are all very nice addition, and with blue, I can access to various counter magic such as Counterspell and Punish Ignorance. However, a three colour man base is very difficult to manage. Luckily, Shard of Alara added three colour tap land which kinda fix this problem. Well, still thinking about it. Maybe in this sem break I can finally get something to work. Hope my three colour angel control will be finish by then. By the way, the Alara Reborn expansion will be release on April 30th, looking forward to the new cards.

Finally, there should be a lot term you don't quite understand. A link to the decklist is provided. My deck is a little bit different as these decks are all money hunger, so I have to cut the expensive card and replace with some cheaper one.

Deck:
Project X
Black Green Elf

Magic the Gathering Official Website

3 comments:

  1. haha..after reading ur blog still not understand how the game going...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't expect anyone to reply this, haha. Maybe Next time I write something for newcomers, the above article is more of advance level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strategy is the name of the game. You got to have a sharp mind to defeat your opponent. Never underestimate your foe otherwise it's game over. Plot your tactics just like HEROBIT's Power-Up|Attack|Resist|Damage|Draw Phase game play (a new card game soon to be released on June 21, 2009.) Play with the deception but never let it dupe you.

    ReplyDelete