Sunday, April 26, 2009

Shards of Alara Block, worst set ever?


Actually I want to write bout my last week Genting trips, very memorable. However, just realize that I don't have any photos with me. So I decided to write it next time. Now let's talk about Magic the Gathering again. It's been a while I played standard format Magic the Gathering, I recently build an extended deck and do have fun with it. However, today topic will be centered around the latest set, Shard of Alara.

Shards of Alara actually introduce quite some new things into this card game. For the first time, there is a new rarity, the mystic rare is introduced into the game. Mystic rare is more difficult to get and only got one in eight booster pack. Therefore, mystic rare will have higher value, but these kind of cards usually is more timmy base, it's not the usual contrusted stuff you need. Another new things is the smaller set and change the theme deck to intro pack.

Let's not talk about the intro pack, as I don't really purchase any. I'm very positive about the smaller card set and introduction of mystic rare. One of the major reason I don't play constructed format is because of the extreme expensive card pool. This is also one of the major reason stopping new players from joining the game. When you consider you have to spend 500 bucks to get a deck build, you might better spend it somewhere else. Mystic rare can reduce the price for normal rare, and smaller set allow you to get your wanted cards more easily.

In the Shards of Alara block, expensive card is usually the mystic rare. Therefore most other cards will be cheaper. This is very positive for peoples who can build a cheaper and yet still strong constructed deck. Wizard should stopped printing over expensive card, all the power level of the card should keep at a standard.

Many peoples consider this set as a very bad set. However, I do not agree. With lesser overpower card, the format is more healthy and deck builder have more option. I'm looking forward that Lowryn and Shadowmoor to rotated out, so the standard format will switch to a format with variety of deck, not dominated by certain card pool only.

No comments:

Post a Comment